A natural tendency in e-commerce is to sell more and more. To achieve this, many invest in marketing which allows them to generate more traffic on their site even when the best option is to retain existing customers.
Below, we list 4 keys to developing a retainment strategy through digital channels.
1) Proactive Support
Involves starting communication with the client before they do. The main advantages are:
- Increases satisfaction levels and generate a positive attitude towards future purchases (since they recognize the added value)
- Develops a close relationship which builds trust and leads to a future ¨loyalty to the company¨
- Minimizes the risk of customer loss (Abandoning the website).
- Reduces customer service costs by reducing the number of future questions
According to a study conducted by Harris Interactive, 87% of the public wants companies to proactively contact them. The main reasons: to prevent fraudulent actions in the transaction (65%) and clear up their questions related to the sale (51%), among others.
The result: 73% of consumers who had a proactive customer service experience had an improved perception of the brand.
2) Open Communication during the entire sales process:
- Detection of the need to be satisfied: Provide information which allows the client to manage themselves and respond to their most frequently-asked questions
- Collection of information about the product: Provide a detailed description of each available product or service and share other client´s good experiences regarding this purchase.
- Desire to purchase: Assist the client with all their concerns and questions so they have all the information needed to make the purchase
- Purchasing process: When the client is making the purchase we must be available at all times and respond to any concerns that may come up, including those aspects that can make the client anxious with respect to the process, for example, the delivery times.
- Post-sales service : Find out how the client felt during the purchasing process, guaranteeing their satisfaction and creating a long-term relationship
3) Quick resolution to all questions
The response speed is a differentiating factor in e-commerce which can make the shopping experience be rated as very good or very bad.
According to the study by Optus, 31% of users expect their problems to be resolved within a maximum of 24 hours, while 24% of the sample (the 2nd highest percentage) expects answers in less than an hour.
4) Customer Loyalty
A loyal client is repeat buyer and they share their good experience with their network of contacts.
An e-commerce needs to assure the best experience for every client in every interaction. This allows them to retain clients
One rule for all e-commerce, more and better customer service translates into more sales.